Defeated leadership rival Andy Burnham is shadow home secretary, while Hilary Benn remains shadow foreign secretary.
The top roles on the Labour front bench are all taken by men, leading to criticism from some MPs.
However, Angela Eagle, the new shadow business secretary, was also named shadow first secretary of state.
It means she will stand in for Mr Corbyn at Prime Minister’s Questions when Prime Minister David Cameron is away.
Chuka Umunna said he was leaving the front bench by “mutual agreement” and Mary Creagh also joined a number of MPs from the previous shadow cabinet who opted to return to the backbenches.
Other confirmed appointments are:
- Lucy Powell, who was Ed Miliband’s general election coordinator, will be shadow education secretary
- Lewisham MP Heidi Alexander will take over from Mr Burnham as shadow health secretary
- Lord Falconer, a former flat mate of ex-PM Tony Blair, will continue as shadow justice secretary
- Seema Malhotra is shadow chief secretary to the Treasury
- Diane Abbott is made shadow minister for international development
- Shadow Northern Ireland secretary is Vernon Coaker
- Rosie Winterton to continue as chief whip
- Ian Murray to continue as shadow Scottish secretary.
Jeremy showed good judgement in including Andy Burnham – to whom I gave my second preference by the way.
It is, to say the least, reassuring that John is now a key figure in the team.
John McDonnell is a unifying figure on the left.
He has done his damnedest to bring people together.
He has stood up for all the right causes.
I will list a few dear to my heart.
Against Welfare ‘reform’ (backed Boycott Workfare), for the English Collective of Prostitutes, support for Ukrainian democrats (none of any ambiguity about Putin, Paul Canning), and real support for the Kurdish fight.
At LRC AGMS he has invited representatives of other European left parties, such as the Front de gauche to address us.
He does not share the ambiguous side of the politics of the Stop the War Coalition, nor I imagine does Hilary Benn.
John is a real European democratic socialist.
I have no higher praise.
Oh and I personally get on with him….
Now the difficulties can get serious.