Nigeria: Boko Harem Attack.
Nigeria unrest: Mosque attack death toll over 100
More than 100 people died in an attack on a Nigerian mosque on Friday, local government and hospital officials say.
The president of Nigeria has vowed “to leave no stone unturned” in tracking down the perpetrators of the gun and bomb attack during Friday’s prayers in the northern city of Kano.
Goodluck Jonathan urged the nation “to confront the common enemy”.
No-one has so far claimed the attack but officials say it bears the hallmarks of Boko Haram militant group.
Kano’s Central Mosque, where the attack took place, is where the influential Muslim leader, the emir of Kano, usually leads prayers.
Emir Muhammed Sanusi had recently called for people to arm themselves against Boko Haram, and there have been suggestions that the attack was in response to that call.
However, on Saturday the emir dismissed the claims, saying it must have taken at least two months to plan the attack. He made the comments during a visit to the mosque.
Today an update report continues,
The tension is palpable in Kano, after bombers and gunmen struck killing more than 100 people at the central mosque.
No-one here is in any doubt that Boko Haram did it.
It seems people do not know where to vent their anger now but hostility hangs in the air.
Inside the mosque, the sight is shocking.
Beyond the blood-soaked steps, the floor is strewn with debris: scattered prayer mats, beads, smashed spectacles and pages from the Koran.
There are bullet marks on the pillars and the suicide bombers’ blood can be seen splattered across the walls and right up inside the dome.
“We heard a loud sound outside, but people said let’s continue praying,” said Adamu Magashi, who was inside facing the imam who had just finished his sermon at the time of the attack.
There are those who explain Islamist violence as a ‘blow back’ at Western intervention.
Or as a struggle for a better world in a religious form….
How does this tragedy fit into their preconceptions?